Monday, March 18, 2013

On The Eighteenth Day: The Last Day of Your First Adult Job


September 23, 2006.

This was my last Saturday at Nordstrom Rack in King of Prussia. I was going on Medical Leave as soon as I punched out at 3 PM that day.

Leading up to this day, I was diagnosed with a VERY RARE form of Bacterial Infection in my Peritoneum; one that My Hospital has NEVER seen in their History: Mycobacterium Abscessus, which is a rapidly growing mycobacterium that is a common water contaminant.

Looks like this:





Yeah... That is what I had going on inside of my Peritoneum where my Peritoneal Dialysis catheter was located, but in a Pea Green color. I either got it while showering at my grandmother's house, or in my shower after the bathroom and kitchen were renovated.


It was like any other day at The Rack: clocked in at 8 AM, checked and tidied up the Sales Floor, and started working on my shipments for the Shoes Department.

My coworkers and successors Corey and Tom were there early, and shook my hand and offered their Well-Wishes. While testing Corey and Tom for the last time on the Merchandising Log on the computer, the Store Manager (trying to remember her name, yet drawing a blank) pulled me to the side, and asked if Corey and Tom were ready to Head the Helm of the Shoes Department Stockroom. I assured her that I left the responsibility in the Right and Best Hands; they have been learning from me from the day that they set foot into the Shoes Stockroom, and followed each and every detailed direction that I gave. After we had our conversation, she offered her Well-Wishes, and expressed holding on to Hope that I would be well enough to return to The Rack.

More coworkers came through the Stockroom (the way that the store is situated, you have to graze the stockroom before hitting the Sales Floor) and gave hugs, kisses, handshakes, offerings of Prayer, and Well-Wishes before they did not get the chance and I was gone. A few asked if I was feeling alright physically, and I assured them that I was. I explained to them that I was going into The Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania to have the catheter removed, some of the infected tissue would be carved out, and I would have two open slits in my abdomen where the infected tissue was removed.

After putting in about 4 hours, I went to lunch around 12 PM (I tend to linger in my area every time when the lunch bell sounded in my head, just to make sure that everything was in order and completed). Returning at 1 PM, Corey, Tom, and I cleaned up the Stockroom, cracked jokes, and Battle Rapped (I was still a little wet behind the ears, but was holding my own). By the time 1:45 PM came around, we did one last walkthrough of the Stockroom, and I gave the Final Lessons as far as the Merchandising Log. They were very fast learners, and I knew that the Stockroom was in very capable hands.

2:45 rolled around, and I started my Last Walk onto the Sales Floor, hugging, kissing, and shaking hands of my coworkers and a few regulars that shopped with us. It was 5 minutes until Quitting Time, and I spoke with Human Resources and the Store Manager. They asked if there was anything that they could do, just give them a ring. I Thanked them both, and gave them hugs. Sharon, the Men's Department Manager, was the last Sales Manager I saw, where we hugged for what felt like forever (The history between Sharon and I go back to the about 1998, while she was Manager(?) at the Nordstrom Rack at the Mall at the Source in Westbury, NY, and I worked as the Lead Customer Service Associate at the Franklin Mills Mall location when it was open). The very last people that I saw were Chris, Chuck, and Gwen from Loss Prevention. I shook the Men's hands, and gave Gwen the Biggest Hug out of everyone that I hugged (I developed a bit of a soft spot for Gwen; she is Such a Sweetheart!)


I clocked out, and walked down 6 flights of stairs, and left the building as a now former employee of Nordstrom Rack after 8 Years of Service.

4 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

Chile, I'm glad you gave links...I was confused. lol

It's nice to be missed isn't it?

ABoyd378 said...

LOL!!

I think so... ;-)

No Labels said...

I, too, was thankful for the links.

It shows you were a great employee if you are missed.

ABoyd378 said...

LOL!!

I am happy that You All have a better understanding of what ramblings I gave here.

I do visit from time to time, yet about 3 people are still there.