Saturday, March 16, 2013

On The Fifteenth Day: The Day You Graduated (Choose Any that You Remember Most)




That is me on one of the Proudest Moments of My Life.

Monday, June 24, 1996: My High School Graduation.


My beard and haircut was TIGHT back in the Day!!

My Math Tutor Mr. Ira Stern took this picture just as I was about to hand my name card to the announcer just before I went onto the stage.


Let's rewind...


The day was a Beautiful Day: Sunshine, and I woke up at 7 AM with a sense of accomplishment:

A 3.42 GPA, Graduating in the Top 25 in My Class, and a Kidney Transplant Recipient who NEVER Gave Up.

I had Breakfast with the Family that morning, as a smile was on my face. My yearbook was on the dining room table as I looked at it with Pride. After breakfast, I got showered and dressed, and then put on my Gown with my Cap on my bedroom desk. Before I left the house, I wrote a note for My Parents and left it on my Yearbook:

"Please Don't Forget Me" (They held onto that note for 2 years, while I attended Beaver College; stuck on the fridge).

I left the house at 8 AM, and was at Germantown High School by 8:30 AM. My classmates and I were happy that this day FINALLY came! We hugged, shook hands, reminisced about the last four years. We all loaded up onto the school bus, and were on our way to The Dell Music Center where the festivities would commence.

We all lined up as soon as we all got off the school bus, ready to soak in the day. We all marched in to cheers and applause while we waved to the crowd. What a feeling; All of that Hard Work culminated into THIS DAY!!

After we took our positions at our seats. we remained standing and we Saluted our Flag. Afterwards, the ceremony began. The Heads of the Schools (both Principals and Speakers for the schools; Germantown AND Germantown-Lankenau) spoke their speeches. All were dull and boring about how this a changing day in our lives, how we are going into the Real World with the knowledge that we have accumulated, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc. (SECRETLY, It WAS Important to hear all of that).

Select Classmates (1 male, 1 female) sang for everyone present at our Commencement Ceremony.

When all was said and done, the Moment we ALL have been waiting for: DIPLOMA!!

We all lined up, Cameras were flashing on this gorgeous Sunny Day during our outdoor Festivities. One by One, my classmates' names were called out by the announcer who took our name cards as we climbed 6 stairs, walked across the stage, shook hands/hugged School Admins, and score our Diploma. My Clasmates were cheered by all, and it was truly awesome to witness.

Then I get up to the stairs.

I give my card to the Announcer, and as I climbed the stairs, I hear this:

"Mr. Andrew Boyd!"

The VERY FIRST Time that I was Addressed as Mr.!!!

Imagine MY Giddiness!!

I keep it together, and I point to the sky with both hands, and then the UNTHINKABLE Happen.


I received a Standing Ovation, from EVERYONE. NO JOKE; A Standing "O"!!!


I will NEVER Know Why it happened, yet i am Still Humbled by this. I shake hands with School Admins, and hug my Principal Dr. Slater. As soon as my arms went around her, the Green and White Balloon Arch fell over.

Let me Explain something to You All: whenever Something falls over around or near me, SHIT HAPPENS. It NEVER Fails!!

I receive my Diploma, rather, My Diploma Cover, and I leave the stage to return to my seat.After everyone crossed over and received their covers, we have been introduced as "The Germantown High School and Germantown-Lankenau Motivational Program Annex Graduating Class of 1996!!" We move our tassels from right to left, and we waved our Caps; a few were thrown, but hey...

OUR DAY!!!

When the ceremony was over, we went to the backstage area of the Ceremony, and received our Diplomas. We said our final goodbyes to everyone: Hugs, Kisses, handshakes, and tears.


This Day will FOREVER be engraved in my mind. Who knew that the adventure ahead of me would be a First for my Mom's Side of the Family:

I am the First Immediate Boyd to venture off to College.

4 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

Do you have nervous energy?

Cool pic.

ABoyd378 said...

Thank You! :-)

I might have that, Kali...
Sadly, the following year, Dr. Slater passed away. :-(

No Labels said...

Congratulations!

The glasses are pretty cool, too.

ABoyd378 said...

Thank You!! :-D

I lost them a few years later, yet I have a pair of Aviators that my Best Friend gave me... ;-)