Wednesday, March 6, 2013

On The Sixth Day: The Day You First Held a Job



TECHNICALLY, My First Job was at Beaver College (Now known as Arcadia University) in a Work Study Program as a Print Shop Worker. It was pretty cool; learned how Brochures and Pamphlets were made, and learned how to use a Xerox Copier (I sound SOOO Dated saying that!!). It was literally connected to the Mail room of the College, where we passed our completed pamphlets and flyers that were designated for the students and staff of Beaver.

How convenient, right?

I learned from the Best: Wayne G. Force, Print Shop Manager. Those closest to him call him "The Man of a Thousand Stories", and DAMMIT he had Stories for you! Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if he found what he was looking for in Nevada... *reminiscing*

All of the lessons I learned about printing came from college and Wayne.


I also worked at the Children's Center at Beaver College as well during the Summer and School Season, being a Day Care Provider for the children of the Students and Faculty that go to Beaver. One time while working there, I put ALL of the kids in Time Out for jumping off of the book shelf; Spankings were COMPLETELY out of the Question, so a Dark room with Crying kids for about 15 minutes was WELL WORTH IT!! They Apologized and All, and KNEW that Mr. Andrew DID NOT Play That! Other than that, the babies (ranging from 2-6) were adorable and fun to be around; they kept me TIRED!!!

The one that stood out at the Children's Center was Claire. She was a shy little Angel who really didn't say anything at the beginning of the day (a little tired, and a little shy). When she warmed up, she was around the kids, and spoke ever so softly to the Providers and Teachers about her shoes being unbuckled/untied, or help with opening her lunch.

I can still see her: blue eyes, blonde hair, dressed very nicely. And when she smiled? Melts your Heart! Made me want to have a Baby with someone back then! LOL!!





After leaving Beaver, I worked for Nordstrom full time starting on March 19, 1998. I learned a lot about retail, the ins and outs of communicating with other Nordstrom Stores, and Customer Service. This was my First Full Time Job, and I was with them for 8 Years, earning Customer Service All-Star Status in December 1999, and a 5-Year Certificate in 2003. I was promoted to Assistant Department Manager of Shoes on Valentine's Day 2002; One HUGE Gift!! I also did an interview with The United Way for their Annual Fundraiser, where I spoke on my Personal Experiences as a Kidney Transplant Recipient.

I parted ways with them due to My Medical Condition taking a turn on September 23, 2006, and taking with me Years of Experience and leaving a permanent mark as the Gold Standard of Customer Service (as Many coworkers and managers said of me).


After My Second Kidney Transplant, I tried to return to them. Sadly, I was turned down (new management that had no idea of my situation, where I was on Medical Leave AND I told them that; Life Happens).

*NOTE: The reason why I Chose this particular pic is that the "H&M" that is there USED to be Nordstrom Rack, before they were Shut Down in late 2002, due to Poor Sales, and the opening of the Site to where I was promoted: Nordstrom Rack King of Prussia*



However, as I have ALWAYS Learned and Known, Life Works Out. ;-D



5 comments:

Mahoganydymond™ said...

Cool... I used to love retail.. I been in retail now for 18 years... I used to run thangs.. Now I am having a change of heart.. I want my own business... If I can't have that I want to find a job where I don't have to talk to people what so ever.. LOL

ABoyd378 said...

LOL!! @ "I want to find a job where I don't have to talk to people what so ever"

I know EXACTLY What You Mean!!

I too Loved Retail; Discounts, anyone? ;-)

It was fun to meet different personalities, an help others. I earned so much respect, an I was Sought out Often at Nordstrom Rack because of my Counter Side Manner. ;-D

Thee_Kween said...

I don't like homo sapiens. LOL

Seems like a lot of people's first job was day care or retail. lol

Nice books :)

ABoyd378 said...

AWWWW, Kali!! LMAO!!

Yeah, the General Consensus reflects that fact...

Thank you! My Illustrator did a Cracker Jack Job!! ;-D

No Labels said...

Retail is definitely a tough business. It changes your viewpoint on people in general.