Friday, March 8, 2013

On the Eighth Day: A Day You Realized What You Wanted to Do/Be

The First Video is my Dear Friend Almond Joy; the Young Lady that lit the Proverbial Fuse. This was the Fateful Weekend: March 21, 2010. A.J. told me that she was performing that weekend, and wondered if I could come out to Support. I said Yes without hesitation. I took the Greyhound to NYC to meet Joyous One for the VERY FIRST TIME. We hugged when I arrived, like long time friends reuniting. She went with me to the hotel where I made reservations, and I dropped off my Bag. We then went to Dallas BBQ and I met another awesome person:

Her Kweenliness herself, Kali!!!

I hugged Kali tightly, and we all went inside and had dinner before the Erotic Poetry Show where A.J. would perform; located in Mt. Vernon. While eating, we took a few pics (I KNOW that Kali will NOT have me post them here; something  about " I'm a diva and I have a reputation to uphold...I am my own PR." *nudging* Lub U!! *^_^*) and had fun. THEN, I accidentally spilled my Margarita and it traveled in Kali's direction. THANKFULLY, her Kweenliness caught it, and we all helped her clean it up (I am Still SOOO Sorry about that!!).

After dinner, we made a quick stop to A.J.'s place, then we went to the Erotic Poetry Show. Overall, the show was Awesome! I heard some great poetry, and got an Eyeful from a Banana Eating Contest (Still get flashes every now and then).


Now we come to the First Video. This is the Day where Destiny Struck.



Joy performed at a Synchronized Rhythm show at The Shrine in Harlem. That was the video I took. Little did I know, A.J. would do the Unexpected, and Amazing:


After listening to her perform her pieces (between the day before and that day), I switched to the Notes App on my phone and started typing. When I was done (and back in Philly), "Transforming Us" was born. I passed the poem to A.J., and she LOVED IT!!!

Right then and there, I KNEW that My Poetic Side had returned! For 14 years, it was buried, and it took a Trip to NYC to have it return!


The Second Video was taken at Woosah Wednesday's One year Anniversary. Woosah Wednesday was introduced to me by my friends Baeednah Anderson, Jade Williams, and Larry Freeman. Baeednah read my poems, loved them, and directed me to their event. I was NERVOUS!!! I JUST came off of opening up for my friend N'Tirzah's show in June, and here it is November  and I am performing in Philly after TRYING Every Trick in the Book to find a Spoken Word Place here! baeednah hooked me up, and I am THANKFUL!!!


It was a Full House, teeming with Great Local Talent! My turn came up, and that was when I showed the Room what I was made of:





As you heard, the response was AMAZING!!! The feeling that I had then (despite my nervous tone) is the same feeling that I have now:


THIS is MY Calling!!


From that point on, I Wrote, and Performed. and the End Result?


#PublishedAuthor

6 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

LOL!! I don't like too many candid pics. I need to get that angle just right. lol

Glad you had a great time and I'm even happier you found your calling within that weekend. Godspeed, Drew.

ABoyd378 said...

LOL!! Duly Noted to this day! ;-)

I most certainly did, and I truly am and very happy to have met You All that weekend! Who knew that a Trip to hear Joy would lead me to meeting you all, AND You All having a Permanent Residence in My Heart? *^_^*

Divaprocessor said...

Wow this was good Andrew..I have some very talented friends..Maybe next time I will be in the audience front and center :)

ABoyd378 said...

Thank YOU, Trace! :-D

And I look forward to being there to watch You one day! :-D

No Labels said...

Glad you had a wonderful time and that your love for writing reemerged.

:o)

ABoyd378 said...

*^_^*